The sophisticated technology in an Evinrude E-TEC 115 outboard makes it an excellent installation in your boat. However, the advanced features don’t eliminate all the mishaps.
So today, we will discuss some Evinrude E-TEC 115 problems and how to solve them correctly. Let’s stick with us and be ready to enjoy your speed!
Evinrude E-TEC 115 Problems
You will find your Evinrude E-TEC 115 outboard problematic when the engine doesn’t start or has terrible fuel economy. There are several reasons for these problems, but you can find the solutions soon with our help.
The engine does not start.
Evinrude E-TEC 115 outboard is a high-quality product. However, it may suddenly stop when running at low RPMs. You will notice the following signs:
- The engine coughs, sputters, and finally stops.
- The alarm doesn’t work when such a thing happens.
- The engine gets overheated. This issue is common when you use oil to fill the motor.
- Your outboard cranks or idles.
Let’s look at what might be the cause of this problem.
- The software sometimes fails to detect a defective engine. Hence, the alarm doesn’t ring before stalling.
- Fuel or fuel pipe problems are very prevalent. Yet, it’s not the fault of the company. Instead, you blame the one who assembled the motor for you.
- Your boat’s engine may stop entirely if your starters break.
- Your engine may suffer from excessive water pressure.
- Defective spark plugs.
- The water has leaked into the system.
First, calm down. Your system may just have a minor problem.
So start by checking for any physical damage in the fuel lines and spark plugs. Then, move to your software.
If all those components seem fine, expect a big problem, like water issues or malfunctioning starters. To fix them, try the methods below.
- Method 1: Fix the software
Unfortunately, you can’t fix it yourself. It’s necessary to contact a mechanic and ask him to check your software with a laptop.
- Method 2: Address the fuel issues
The motor seems to lack fuel for the run. So refill it.
Otherwise, there may be some air leaks in the fuel lines. Clean the pipes first, and replace them straight away.
- Method 3: Check the water pressure
The engine temperature shouldn’t be lower than 110°F.
If this is the case, check for the water pressure and adjust it. Make sure that the temperature is within the optimal range.
If you have tried all the methods and your motor is still cold, bring it to a mechanic to service it.
- Method 4: Replace the defective spark plugs
Remove the burnt or corroded spark plugs and replace them with the new ones. Once you put them in, check if your motor can run.
- Method 5: Fix the water leakage
The water entering the motor’s cylinders or housing is rare. When it happens, please give it a service. You can’t handle it on your own.
- Method 6: Deal with the starter
If the starter is the source of your problem, follow these steps to fix it:
- Remove the shroud from the flywheel.
- Wrap a thin rope around the flywheel one time.
- Turn your engine one and wait for a while. If you hear the transom, the motor has started.
Bad fuel economy
The engine running out of fuel is the most typical problem you often have with the E-TEC 115.
Typically, 30 to 40 liters are enough for a typical day’s travel. And this value is about 25% more than what new engines need.
Some users try losing power on a cylinder to reduce fuel consumption. Unfortunately, this method doesn’t work.
Your engine model may be old. Hence, it isn’t compatible with the current fuel-efficient technology.
For example, at full power, the engine can use roughly 11 GPH. Much older versions could consume up to 18 gallons in just three hours of moderate sailing.
Besides, there may be serious exhaust problems with the Evinrude E-TEC 115.
Rust and leaks can occur regularly. Users have previously complained about higher energy consumption due to poor emissions.
There are two ways to cope with the bad fuel economy:
- Method 1: Install a new propeller
The propeller plays a vital role in the system. So when it breaks down, the best solution is to replace it.
- Look for a propeller with a smaller diameter. Spinning a propeller with a bigger diameter often takes a lot of power.
- Remove the bolts from the propeller’s sides. Then, remove the prop, its ring, and its nut.
- Insert a new propeller.
- Next, examine the hull’s integrity. The floatation should be saturated with water. If not, you bought the wrong prop. You need to consult a professional to get the right one.
- Method 2: Fix the exhaust
If your exhaust has got seized completely, soak it in a 50:50 mixture of ATF and acetone. Replace the engine’s valves if they have deteriorated.
Is Evinrude E-TEC 115 Worth It?
Problems happen to everything. Hence, we can’t assume Evinrude E-TEC 115 is a bad product because of the mishaps.
So how good is Evinrude E-TEC 115? Let’s check some reviews about this item and determine whether to buy it or not.
In a marketplace where four-stroke outboard motors usually dominate, Evinrude decides to continue with two-stroke tech, offering it a significant competitive edge.
The fundamental benefit of the two-stroke system is that the motors are lighter.
Moreover, they require less maintenance because they have fewer moving components than their four-stroke competitors.
With Evinrude’s i-Steer and i-Drive technologies and the Icon II series of digital throttle management, the new engine design is also future-proof.
The alloy used to construct the engine’s pistons was initially a part of NASA’s space program and is far more durable than ordinary materials.
The initial of the new-generation outboard motors to be imported to Australia as part of the national test program was the Evinrude E-TEC 115 HO.
The midrange efficiency of this motor is what makes it unique. With revs set in, the engine will be remarkably reactive to the throttle.
Increase the revs, and the two-stroke expert digs in with a robust, torque-filled response.
Read More: Volvo IPS Problems & Solutions 2022
Evinrude E-tec 115 is a powerful engine. Although you may have problems with it sometimes, the solutions are simple to follow.
If you have tried all the methods and they don’t work, consult a professional to check the motor. Do you find this article helpful?
If you need any further information, please feel free to ask. Thanks for reading!